So over the couple month or so, I’ve been going about my weekly routine. I wake up every morning, shower make coffee and quickly head to my car to drive to work. Normally I’m early, but this particular morning was different. When my weekends normally come to an end I start them off by doing my laundry. Yes all of my laundry that has been piled up by my bedside for the previous week. It takes me roughly three hours to fully wash and dry all of my loads of laundry. Well this morning was different because I had procrastinated and had not finished my last load of laundry. I let it sit in the washer overnight and figured I’d toss it in the drying once I woke up. Somewhat out of my routine already that Monday morning I tossed the last load of washed laundry in the dryer, showered and headed downstairs to make my coffee. Before I made it down the first flight of stairs, I smelt what I couldn’t even fathom. Smoke… I quickly ran up, opened the dryer and was met with a large, thick poof of smoke barreling towards my face and freshly washed cloths from the night before. Already realizing that something wasn’t right, I then saw the small flicker of light coming from between the dryer roll and where the electrical wiring is. With the speed of a rabbit getting shot at during small game opener, I ran downstairs and grabbed the only thing I could think of, a glass full of water. Throwing it at where I assumed the now flames were coming from did nothing. I repeated this twice more and managed to put out whatever fire had started inside of my dryer. I was already running late for work and now all I have on my mind is what the hell I’m going to do now and how much is it going to be for me to replace the dryer. Already late for work I called in and let them know of the situation. I decided to take the entire day off so I could just deal with the problem at hand.
Luckily, I later found out that the expense of the dryer would be covered by my landlord. That news definitely lifted a huge weight off my chest since I’ve already been struggling to make ends meet. The only problem that later arose was that my landlord also wanted an electrician to come in and take a look at the outlet and circuit breaker. Little did I know, my townhouse was one of the last townhouses scheduled to get a circuit breaker upgrade to stop all of the annoying brown outs we’ve been getting lately. Later in the afternoon, after getting a new washer the electrician showed up. We had a good laugh at my dryer problem and suggested that I kept a fire extinguisher handy in case something like this ever happens again. He then went to work and I decided to hang around the house and catch up on my new book that I just picked up.
Alex, the electrician was probably the most professional person I’ve ever dealt with here at my townhouse. He explained to me in a professional way that he did not have the correct parts to replace my circuit breaker panel but would come back first thing in the morning and get it done. We arranged for my landlord to let him although he promised to be here before I left for work the following morning.
The next morning, Alex arrived at my townhouse early like he promised and even brought me a fire extinguisher that he picked up from my landlord before hand. I left for work and only a few short hours later he called me and let me know he had finished and locked my doors. What can I say, for something that had gone so wrong the day before it sure was nice to feel like I had done something right to receive such great service. He even left me a card and wrote a note on it saying to give him a call if I ever need anymore electrical work.
Alex – Thanks for showing such professionalism and making me feel like I was the most important customer you’ve ever had. I’ll for sure be giving MN Licensed Electrician a call the next time I need electrical repairs!